CORGI refers to the Council for Registered Gas Installers. It is charged with operating a voluntary cataloguing system for gas engineers in Manchester. For the period between 1991 to 2009, it was mandatory for all gas businesses and operatives within the UK to register with CORGI. Businesses in Guernsey and Northern Ireland continued to do so until April 2010.
Apart from paying a requisite fee, registering with CORGI Gas requires the gas operators to hold a certificate of competency from ACS (Accredited Certification Scheme). The certificate is meant to show the appropriate experience and competence level held by the operatives or businesses in various gas-related works.
The introduction of ACS was meant to replace various certification schemes that had been in place until 1998. However, CORGI went on to lose its status as England’s official registration body 2009 on 1st April. The same would happen in Northern Ireland a year later.
The responsibilities held by CORGI were handed over to the Gas Safe Register. The register is run by Capital Group on behalf of the Health and Safety Executive.
Background on CORGI
The body was initially founded in 1970. It started to operate a voluntary register as a confederation for the registration of gas installers. Its launch was necessitated by a gas explosion that occurred two years earlier in 1968. The gas caused the Ronan Point Tower, which is located in London to partially collapse.
Apart from gas explosions, another serious danger facing the public and gas users was in the form of carbon monoxide. CO happens to be a highly toxic gas. It comes about during the combustion process and may prove fatal if inhaled in large quantities.
When it comes to gas safety, much of the focus lies in ensuring that carbon monoxide is not produced in excessive quantities. To achieve this fete, there is a need to ensure that there are correct combustion and adequate ventilation.
The small amounts of carbon monoxide produced during combustion also need to be disposed of in a safe manner. Experts estimate that around thirty people are killed in the United Kingdom each year due to carbon monoxide poisoning, something that can be avoided by ensuring there is proper combustion through the use of flue systems.
Why Hire ST Heating Services Ltd.?
ST Heating Services Ltd. is a company registered with the gas engineers in Manchester and, therefore, fully certified to provide heating and boiler replacement services. It also provides repair and maintenance services throughout the Northwest, UK.